Cholesterol is a substance that is produced by our own bodies. It is waxy in nature and found in the liver. We obtain it when we eat animal products like eggs, dairy, milk, and meat.
In case you eat cholesterol-high food, your liver will automatically make less cholesterol. Therefore, dietary cholesterol does not have a high impact on levels of cholesterol.
But if you eat more trans fat food, saturated food, and high sugar-containing food, your cholesterol levels can rise to high levels.
What To Do To Reduce Bad Cholesterol Levels?
Cholesterol is of two types: it can be good or bad also. Good cholesterol helps your body and keeps you healthy. But great levels of bad cholesterol or oxidized cholesterol can increase the chances of diseases related to heart attack, stroke, etc.
This Cholesterol sticks to the inner walls of the stomach and causes the formation of plaques, which further cause clogging in blood vessels.
Therefore it becomes vital to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol. Changing some minute things in your diet can help you immensely in protecting yourself from fatal heart diseases. Below we have discussed some changes that you can make in your diet and lifestyle to curb the levels of bad cholesterol.
Diet To Follow
Eat more and more soluble fiber, as it helps in lowering the levels of cholesterol. This also prevents the process of reabsorption in the gut.
- Vegetables and fruits are must-have meals. If you want to lower the levels of cholesterol, make sure you add a good amount of vegetables and fruits to your diet. You should eat vegetables and fruits at least 2 to 4 times a day. They will lower the oxidation of cholesterol which decreases the risk of fatal diseases.
- Spices and herbs are also important. By consuming spices and herbs, the cholesterol level is lowered. It additionally has high antioxidants, which help in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol.
- Unsaturated fats or less saturated fats should be consumed. They decrease the level of cholesterol. Some foods you can consume that have them are fish, olives, nuts, and many more.
- Do not consume any food which contains artificially made trans fat. They increase the risk of fatal diseases such as heart attack, stroke, etc., by creasing the levels of cholesterol. Making food that contacts artificially made trans fat is even banned in various countries.
- Our body does not need excess sugar. We get most of the needed sugar from our daily diet. If you eat more added sugar than one-fourth of your daily intake of calories, your levels of cholesterol will increase unimaginably. The risk is even increased to double. You should choose and consume food that has fewer added sugars.
- If you want to adopt a meal that is rich in vegetables, fruits, herbs, fiber, spices, etc., then Mediterranean meals are the best choice. These meals can help you lower the level of cholesterol and also reduce the risk of fatal diseases. These meals can be easily made as a part of your lifestyle.
- Eating soy can also help you a lot. Soy is obtained from the soy plant and is high in proteins and has a rich flavor. If it is consumed regularly, it can lower the levels of cholesterol and also reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Green tea has magical effects on your body. If you consume green tea every day as a cup daily, then about 20% of risks are reduced and you achieve lower levels of cholesterol.
It is important to curb the high levels of bad cholesterol. The reason is that increased bad cholesterol in your body can impact your body in a bad way and also it exposes you to fatal diseases. You can add all the pointers given above to your diet to be healthy and safe.